Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I feel cheated

I got a few more books at the library the other day. I haven't read them all yet, but I wanted to mention these two books.

From This Day by Nora Roberts. Okay, I have read a lot of Nora Roberts but this was so crappy. I didn't realize until I started reading it that it is one of her earlier books, published the year I was born. The guy basically infers that he will force himself on this girl if she doesn't open up to him, but that is supposed to make him strong and attractive; but I just thought he was a douche. Then he tells her that they are getting married, not asks, tells. But there was no sex in the entire book! That is just crazy. I don't know when she changed her mind to thinking sex before marriage is okay, but I'm sure glad she did, or I would never read another of her romance novels.

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. I LOVE this author. This is only the second book she has written, but I will read anything she comes out with for the rest of my life. Her books are magical. I absolutely adored her first book Garden Spells. Amber, you will love these books. Read them now! The Sugar Queen is about a girl, Josey, in her late twenties who is taking care of her mother (who treats her like shit). She hides junk food and romance novels in her closet and is in love with her mailman. Until one day a women she barely knows, Della Lee, show up in her closet and won't leave. Della Lee helps Josey come out of her shell and change her life. I know that kind of sounds like many other "chick lit" novels, but this is not like that; this story is very original. They mention that Josey is just this side of plump, but that is not a big part of the story, she doesn't hate herself and lose weight, and then get the guy (I hate that). She just discovers what was already there.

2 comments:

Barbara E.Trombley said...

2/24/09
i was intrigued by your assessment of the new books. i like to read all kinds of books. have you written one i could hear about/ I have recently published my first novel,A MUTED MELODY. it is a mystery. You could read about it o my blog. I am experiencing all kinds of new things, among which is the blog. My blog is- -http://mutedmelody.blogspot.com
Barbara

Unknown said...

Ok, this is second comment I'm leaving, they are coming up for come reason..anywhooo...I just checked out "Sugar Queen" today!! I loved loved LOVED "Garden Spells"!!!! You have great taste in books man!!