Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Gym

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in about a year. Don't even get me started on how I have been paying for it and not going. Hey, I finally went and it only cost me $240! psshha!

There are a couple of things that annoy me about gyms. I will list and explain.

Personal Trainers. I get one session a month, but I only ever used one. They just push too hard and make me never want to come back. I do not want to be a gym rat, I am not exercising to lose weight, I have not exercised much in the past. So going to the gym for the first time in a long time and pushing myself too hard is not what I want. And don't even get me started on the diet supplements they try to sell you.
The way I see it any exercise is better than none. So ten minutes on the elliptical and ten minutes of weight training are good for me right now as a beginner with knee pain. I was in my target heart rate the whole ten minutes so it was all good for me. I am still a little sore today from the little amount of weight training I did. I don't want to feel that my muscles are all torn up (which is actually what you go for when weight training, then they heal even bigger) but that they have actually been used; for something other than changing the channel.

Judgy Judgersons. This is one reason a lot of overweight people don't go to gyms because they always feel judged. I have been trying to get over a lot of my issues about that in all situations in my life (like being afraid to dance in public, big fear of mine). It is so true you should fake confidence until you feel it. I walked in there with my robot pajama pants, instead of tight exercise pants, with my head held high and didn't feel judged at all. The way I see it, when people are judging me, it is their self esteem issue not mine. It is easier to change the way I think than the way they think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! We all struggle with this.