Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Election

This is only the second presidential election that I have been able to vote in. In 2000 I was only 17. In 2004, I voted for Kerry. Although I didn't feel to strongly for him, I really hated Bush's politics (still do) and wanted him out. Well ignorance won that day and Bush has taken our country further down a bad path; one where the rest of the world looks down on us, where we torture people, where we don't teach children about how their own bodies work, and where the government has taken more and more of our privacy.

I have always had good intuition about people. I know when I am being conned and lied to and alternately when someone is sincere. This election I am voting for Obama. Not only do I agree with almost all of his stances on the issues, I genuinely like him. when I see him on TV and in pictures I can tell he is actually listening while talking to people, he cares about us, he is one of us. The same goes for Joe Biden. Their eyes show joy, kindness, and empathy. I believe in them completely.

When I look at John McCain and Sarah Palin I see lies, anger, contempt, and condescension towards the American people and even towards each other. They don't believe in our country, they want to use it to gain power for themselves and their agenda. I hope and pray to the universe that more than half of the American people will not fall for their lies.

This last week I have been crying at least once a day about the election. I see pictures of Obama speaking to crowds of tens of thousands and it gives me hope for our country.

I grew up Christian; and although I don't consider myself one anymore, I know a lot about the religion and like to debate it with anyone who is willing. I read an opinion piece this morning where a hate filled Christian stated that you could not be a Christian and vote for Obama, if you vote for Obama you will go to hell. She quoted this scripture:
Barack Obama and many of his followers claim to be Christian. But Isaiah 29:13 says:

Therefore the Lord said: "Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths and honor Me with their lips, But have removed their hearts far from Me, And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men" (Isaiah 29:13).


Funny, that is exactly how I feel about John McCain and Sarah Palin. I do not feel that they are good Christians because they seem to be angry and hate-filled all the time, they spread lies about Obama, and they don't want to protect this Earth that God gave us to be stewards of (if your Christian and believe that). If that author doesn't remember, lying is one of the ten commandments as well. You can't condemn one without condemning the others.

No comments: