Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Warning: women bodily function talk below

My period is probably the only thing that grosses Brad out. Anytime I talk about it he gets this hilarious look on his face (so of course I try to talk about it as often as possible). I am on a journey to fertility and I thought I would talk about it here. I will probably talk about my past issues with my period in another post (I know it will be hard to wait) but I just wanted to say that I think I have found a breakthrough.

I am self diagnosing myself as having PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). I have a prescription to get a ultra-sound to confirm but I am not going to make an appointment until after the wedding so we will have to wait for that. But I have so many of the symptoms. I went off birth control in March, had a few cycles pretty normally, but then I had not had a period since June. In early September I went to the ND (naturopathic doctor) to discuss my blood test results I was told that I have very high glucose levels and that this is probably related to my infertility issues. To combat this I was told to go on a low carb/low sugar diet. I have been tentatively following this diet (not gung-ho about it yet, but I did give up soda, most fruits and fruit juices, and a lot of bread) for about three weeks and lo and behold I just got my period on Friday. That is amazing. As of right now those two things are just correlated, the new diet may not have caused me to have my period; but I am so hopeful that this will help me in so many ways that i am just ecstatic.

I learned so much from this post on mothering.com. Her story is similar to mine and I am just so excited! After the wedding I will be starting a very strict low carb/low sugar diet and see what happens then. Please send good baby thoughts my way.

p.s. for anyone wondering why it seems I can't do anything until after the wedding, well we will be moving right after the wedding and we have absolutely no money until then either. So right now we are only eating things we already have in the house. That is a lot of pasta, rice, potatoes, lentils, beans, macaroni and cheese, and tuna. Some of those things are not so good for my diet.

No comments: